Tuesday, October 11, 2016

How to Recycle your Outfits...

The days of never being seen in the same thing twice are long gone.  Even celebrities and royalty (think Kate Middleton) are recycling looks - including gowns.  And every time they pull a dress, bag, or scarf from their closet, it's cost per wear goes down!  Even if math isn't your strong suit (and I know it isn't mine!), it's a simple equation.  Divide the original price by the number of times you plan to wear an item - daily, monthly, bi-annually.  If the final figure is close to what you can live with, it's a good purchase.  Put simply, if you're going to plop down some serious money, it should be for a piece you're going to wear again and again.

This thought process is one that I'm learning (albeit slowly!).  There was a time when I would buy something if I liked it, without giving any thought to how much wear I would get out of it.  Now when I look at the ridiculous amount of clothing in my closet, I can honestly say that the majority of items in there have been worn once or maybe twice, and there are a handful of things I wear again and again and were worth every cent!

So what I'm saying is put some thought into what you're going to purchase, especially if it's expensive.  Now I will add that there are some things that are timeless and always a good investment, like a good quality coat or a great jacket, but don't go overboard on things that are just a passing trend.  Learn to recycle your outfits, and get more wear out of the things you love.

If you have a black dress that you love, there are different ways to wear it.  Add a great belt, or a piece of statement jewelry to change the look.  I promise you no-one will notice (or probably care!) that you're wearing the same dress. The same thing goes for a great scarf or a bag - pair them with different outfits.  You'll be surprised at how creative you can be!

Take a look at how some celebs and royalty recycle their outfits, and give it a try!




No comments:

Post a Comment